Monday, May 19, 2008

"Alien Egg" Quiche


This is from my book but I made it a bit differently. I found these really neat ramekins at the dollar store and they only cost me a dollar each. They don't look like I paid only a dollar for them which makes them more worthwhile. I've even fooled a few people. The key is the complete lack of tackiness and the so-simple-it's-elegant angle.

I envisioned this recipe as a way to incorporate the movie Alien (directed by Ridley Scott) and take advantage of the 'egg' idea. The quiche is supposed to look like an open egg with the four edges sticking up. Of course it doesn't always look that way but I like to give myself points for trying.

So here is my quiche...

alien Breakfast Quiche

Ingredients

2 sheets of puff pastry
4 shallots
1 ¼ cup Gruyere cheese, grated
¾ cup Swiss cheese, grated
8 stalks of asparagus, chopped into ¼ inch pieces
6 strips of roasted red pepper, chopped fine
½ cup of prosciutto, shredded
6 eggs
2 egg yolks
2 cups heavy cream
Salt and white pepper

Directions

Place a sheet of pastry in a 9-inch spring form pan and press down firmly at sides and bottom.

In this instance, I took a single sheet of puff pastry and evenly divided it up into four pieces. I then used two squares for each ramekin instead of a single sheet for a spring form or baking dish.

Place the second sheet on a 90 degree angle to the first and press pastry against sides of the pan. The corners of the pastry will stick up.

Saute the asparagus on medium heat until soft, remove from pan and set aside. Add the shallots, and red pepper and saute until soft.

Add half the cheese to the bottom of the pastry lined spring form.

Sprinkle the vegetables and prosciutto over the cheese and add the rest of the cheese on top.
Beat the eggs, cream, salt and pepper, and pour over top. Place strips of aluminum foil around edges of pastry to prevent burning.

Bake in 350ºF for 80 to 90 minutes or until top is firm.

Serve with cappuccino.
Serves: 4

No comments: